Jan Serr & John Shannon
With the ground-shaking thunder of a revival meeting and an electrifying gospel and blues score, The Gospel at Colonus is an exuberant re-telling of Sophocles’ Oedipus at Colonus. Featuring soaring voices, thrilling music, and powerful dance, the musical is set in the context of a black Pentecostal service. Gospel premiered on Broadway in 1988 and was revived in 2018, playing to capacity audiences at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park.
Conceived and Adapted by Lee Breuer
Music Composed by Bob Telson
Based on an adaptation of Sophocles’ Oedipus at Colonus in the version by Robert Fitzgerald and incorporating passages from both Sophocles' Oedipus Rex and Antigone in the versions by Dudley Fitts and Robert Fitzgerald, which are published as The Oedipus Cycle of Sophocles, a harvest/HBJ Book, Harcourt Brace Jovanich, Inc. The Gospel at Colonus is available through Theatre Communication Group, NYC and the original cast recording is released on the Elektra/Nonesuch Label.
Runtime: 2 hours including a 20 minute intermission.
Please be aware that audiences seated on the left side of the theatre (house left), may have obstructed views of the choir, who sing on risers located on that side of the stage. No other parts of the performance are obstructed. If you have concerns about your tickets, please call the Box Office at 414-291-7800 and they will assist.
Exuberant Preaching at ‘Colonus’ - Shepherd Express
Skylight's rousing 'Gospel at Colonus' tells Oedipus story through spirit-filled music - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Gospel music meets Greek legend in Skylight's vibrant "Gospel at Colonus" - OnMilwaukee
'The Gospel at Colonus' A Greek Tragedy in Gospel Form - Milwaukee Courier
Charisma and Catharsis - Play On Milwaukee
Skylight’s “Gospel at Colonus” Soars Musically - Urban Milwaukee
Cast & Design Team
Oedipus - Byron Jones
Antigone - Tasha McCoy
Theseus/Choir Member - Curtis Bannister
Ismene - Raven Dockery
Creon - Allen Edge*
Polyneices/Choir Member - Dontrell Williams
Choragos - Shawn Holmes
Balladeer/Choir Member - Kevin James Sievert
Messenger - Marvin Hannah
Erica Brown, Texas Bufkin, Cynthia Cobb*, Tosha Freeman, Michaela Usher
*Denotes Member of Actors' Equity Association
Director - Sheri Williams Pannell
Music Director - Christie Chiles Twillie
Scenic Designer - Julia Noulin-Merat
Costume Designer - Amy Horst
Lighting Designer - Susan Nicholson
Sound Designer - Fitz Patton
Stage Manager - Martinique M. Barthel*
*Appearing through an agreement between Skylight Music Theatre and Actors' Equity Association, the Union of Professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States.
News & Media
- REVIEW: Gospel music meets Greek legend in Skylight's vibrant "Gospel at Colonus" - OnMilwaukee
- REVIEW: Skylight’s “Gospel at Colonus” Soars Musically - Urban Milwaukee
- Photos: 'The Gospel at Colonus' (Skylight Music Theatre) - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- REVIEW: 'The Gospel at Colonus' A Greek Tragedy in Gospel Form - Milwaukee Courier
- REVIEW: Charisma and Catharsis - Play On Milwaukee
- REVIEW: Exuberant Preaching at ‘Colonus’ - Shepherd Express
- REVIEW: Skylight's rousing 'Gospel at Colonus' tells Oedipus story through spirit-filled music - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- The Gospel at Colonus - Promo Trailer
- Skylight Music Theatre's 'The Gospel at Colonus' takes Oedipus story to church - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Sophocles as Sung by an African American Choir - Shepherd Express
- Cast, Creative Team Announced for "The Gospel at Colonus"