Streaming beginning Friday, September 17
About "Being Earnest"
Skylight Music Theatre's First Virtual Musical
Being Earnest based on Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest
Available for Streaming through Streaming Musicals
Book and Lyrics by Paul Gordon
Music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska
Based on the play by Oscar Wilde
Edited by Paul Gordon and Michael Unger
Directed by Michael Unger
Skylight Music Theatre presents its first online/virtual, full-length musical, Being Earnest by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska, based on Oscar Wilde’s satirical comedy of manners, The Importance of Being Earnest.
Being Earnest takes place in a mod, 1960’s, Austin Powers-era setting. All of the brilliant wit in Wilde’s most popular play remains intact in this effervescent musical about two young couples and the societal conventions, over-bearing mothers, and misplaced handbags in railway stations that they must overcome in the course of finding true love. The score is a sparkling homage to 1960’s rock groups such as Herman’s Hermits, The Dave Clark Five, The Rolling Stones, The Seekers, The Hollies, The Lovin’ Spoonful and more.
Being Earnest was performed, recorded and presented in a way that assured social distancing for both cast and audience. Performers rehearsed online through Zoom, in their own homes, and final performances were edited together like a film. Being Earnest is available for now through Dec. 31, 2020. Tickets are $25 and available here. Patrons purchase a ticket for a specific date, and have 48 hours from their selected date to view the show online.
Don't miss the show critics call "smart!" "funny!" and says "an awful lot to me about why I love theater!"
Cast & Crew
BEING EARNEST CREATIVE TEAM
Director - Michael Unger
Music Director - Conor Keelan
Choreographer - Amanda Marquardt
Costume Coordinator - Shima Orans
Video Consultant - Tyler Milliron
Stage Manager - Samantha Pekelnicky
BEING EARNEST CAST
Algernon - Max Pink
Dr. Chasuble/Lane/Merriman - Tim Rebers
Jack - Joey Chelius
Lady Bracknell - Nathan Marinan
Gwendolyn - Stephanie Staszak
Miss Prism - Karen Estrada
Cecily - Ashley Oviedo
The cast and creative team of Being Earnest. (L. to R.) Top Row: Ashley Oviedo (Cecily), Michael Unger (Director), Stephanie Staszak (Gwendolyn), Max Pink (Algernon), Second Row: Samantha Pekelnicky (Stage Manager), Joey Chelius (Jack), Nathan Marinan (Lady Bracknell), Conor Keelan (Music Director), Third Row: Karen Estrada (Miss Prism), Paul Gordon (Book/Lyrics/Music), Amanda Marquardt (Choreographer), Emma Knott (Artistic Intern), Fourth Row: Tim Rebers (Dr. Chasuble/Lane/Merriman).
News & Media
- Skylight Music Theatre’s Virtual Musical "Being Earnest" Chosen For International Streaming Platform Streaming Musicals
- REVIEW: 4 good reasons to check out Skylight's virtual "Being Earnest" - OnMilwaukee
- Local Companies Are Innovating Amid Pandemic - Urban Milwaukee
- Skylight Music Theatre Extends Virtual Musical "Being Earnest" Due to Popular Demand
- REVIEW: Virtual Theater Earns Its Spurs With Skylight's Delightful “Earnest” - Dave Begel On Theater
- Being Earnest at Skylight Music Theatre - Milwaukee Opera Theatre's "You've Got a Thing!"
- REVIEW: Being Earnest - Windy City Times
- REVIEW: "Being Earnest" Mike's Picks: A Virtual Theater Guide - Forward Theater
- REVIEW: Skylight escapes to London, First Stage seeks 'Treasure' in Milwaukee - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- REVIEW: The Importance of Skylight’s ‘Being Earnest’ - Urban Milwaukee
- REVIEW: ‘Being Earnest’ at Skylight Music Theatre - Ryan Jay Reviews
- REVIEW: Skylight’s Virtual Musical, 'Being Earnest,' Makes the Most of Circumstances - Shepherd Express
- Skylight Music Theatre Announces Special Events to Launch Virtual Musical "Being Earnest"
- Skylight Music Theatre Presents "Being Earnest" - Promo Video
- Skylight Music Theatre presents first virtual, full-length musical - WISN12 Arts Avenue
- Skylight Music Theatre to Launch Its First Virtual Musical "Being Earnest"
- Skylight Music Theatre to Launch Its First Virtual Musical: BEING EARNEST - Broadway World